Three men walked into the lobby of the Little Nell Hotel in Aspen, Colorado, this past Friday and walked out shortly thereafter with $800,000 in jewelry. In what can only be described as audacious, reports are that the men didn’t even bother with masks.
The three men all appeared to enter the hotel separately but met up at a display case in the lobby. The suspects allegedly took $800,000 worth of jewelry from the case, walked out and left the scene in a rental car. It’s unclear whether the suspects flew from Aspen airport or ended up driving to Denver, but they were eventually spotted after the theft at Denver International Airport.
The Aspen police circulated photos of the three suspects at Denver International Airport taken in the days after the theft. At least two of the pictures show the suspects standing in front of an American Airlines gate area boarding sign. American Airlines serves Denver from Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas Ft. Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia and Phoenix. There do not appear to be any reports of where the suspects were headed.
ICYMI: Aspen Police release images and surveillance video of 3 men suspected of stealing jewelry valued at $800,000 from The Little Nell hotel on Friday.
Watch: https://t.co/WnAuRz1LjB pic.twitter.com/64gweMnlao
— Aspen Times (@TheAspenTimes) December 27, 2018
The missing jewelry is the property of Piranesi, a jeweler based in New York City, who has had a display case in the Little Nell Hotel for approximately 20 years. There are no reports as to why the display case with almost $1 million worth of jewelry wasn’t secured with an alarm or how the suspects apparently were able to open the case easily and escape the hotel without anyone noticing.
Aspen is a very affluent area, popular amongst wealthy individuals and celebrities in both the winter and warmer months. Opened in 1989, the Little Nell Hotel is a Five-Star, Five Diamond hotel that sits near an old mining shaft named after a lady of the night. While the hotel is sold out for New Year’s Eve, you can snag a room for December 29th for $10,730. Rooms drop to between $1,200 and $4,000 in January, and less than $1,000 per night in June.
Photo by Malcolm Linton/Liaison
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That’s $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named “Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption” – Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions – as long as there’s a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Editorial Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.