Select Page

Four local state legislators have asked the Lake County Board to waive penalties for late payment of the first installment of property taxes.

Democrats Rita Mayfield of Waukegan, Dan Didech of Buffalo Grove, Bob Morgan of Deerfield and Joyce Mason of Gurnee in a news release Thursday urged the county board to provide relief to residents facing economic turmoil as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The legislators said state law gives the county board “wide-ranging” powers when the county is declared a disaster area, as was done March 26 by President Donald Trump.

Legislators say the declaration triggers the county board’s power to waive penalties and urged it to do that for the June installment.

The Lake County collector is bound by state law to collect a 1.5% penalty per month on any unpaid installment balance after the due dates.

Didech said Friday the COVID-19 economic impact will be staggering and waiving late fees for a period of time is a “common sense measure” to provide some relief while ensuring local governments have money to provide essential services like first responders.

“We have to be careful to do this in a way not to sacrifice (services) but give people some peace of mind,” he said. Those who can make their payment on time should do so, he added.

by signing up you agree to our terms of service

The county board’s financial and administrative committee is expected to consider the matter at its meeting at 8:30 a.m. Thursday, April 16.

Board Chair Sandy Hart said that while the county treasurer collects the money, it is disbursed to various taxing bodies. She said the county’s portion of a tax bill is about 7% and it needs to be mindful of any “unintended consequences” for the taxing bodies that get the other 93%.

“We want to do what we can to help our residents in this crisis and we don’t want to make the situation worse by delaying payments that cold impact payroll or essential services provided by other government agencies,” she said.

This content was originally published here.