There’s a place in the high elevation desert of the San Luis Valley in Colorado, where the sounds of humans fade to nothing, where the sun beats down and the sand reflects the heat, where all one can hear is the sound of shifting sand in the wind…the wind that shapes the desert dunes into something unique for that one particular moment before the sand flow changes it forever – And just occasionally, at the right time of the year along comes some cloud.
Perspective is everything. First impressions are that the sand dunes are not very high but once you walk out to the base it is easy to see that these are the tallest sand dunes in North America. The dune field is vast. Initially I wanted to see what was over the top of the dunes but hiking sand can be very challenging and exhausting. It was easy to see the storm clouds coming in and they cemented the decision not to hike beyond a few ridges. The wind blows consistently and the sand grains whip exposed skin. Not wanting to get caught in the weather I waited it out in the dry valley at the base of the dunes. Disappointment rolled in with the weather – until this image unfolded.
While my visual senses are in awe of the stunning landscapes that form here, the sound of silence forms around you like a vacuum.
To be a photographer, to just sit and watch this image form before you, is something very profound, peaceful and quite special. Go out and explore …you never know what you will find.
Did you know that now we offer a VIP membership? Create your own portfolio page and let us share it monthly to over 700,000 members and followers.
Benefits of VIP membership:
• Your own portfolio page – click here to see sample
• We promote your portfolio monthly to over 700,000 followers
• Download 12 new issues of the magazine every year
• Download ALL back issues
• Download 2 premium eBooks worth £19.45.
• Upload and share up to 48 images per year via our monthly assignments
• Upload and share up to 24 images per year via our picture submission form
• Fast Support – we aim to reply within 24 hours
• Submission Priority – your submission goes to the front of the queue
This content was originally published here.